Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Easter Week and Missing You.

I thought Easter would be really hard this year. I prepared myself for the grief to creep up my back and into my skull. I practiced breathing into it, forcing a smile back towards it, so that my boys wouldn't notice anything but the thrill of finding their baskets and over-sugaring themselves at Grammy and Pap's house. 
It wasn't hard. I didn't really feel much. I went for a run and I drank a few beers and the kids had fun and I went to bed. 
So you can imagine my surprise when yesterday, your absence hit me like a ton of bricks, a barreling train, a knife to the throat, no creeping sadness, just crushing hurt at the disappearance of your light from my life. 
Maybe I prepared myself too well for Easter. Maybe I just didn't give myself time to allow you to cross my  mind. 
I hope you aren't hurt that I avoid dwelling on you much, but the thing is.... I can't. I lose so much time. I think of you and suddenly, it's evening and I haven't done a damn thing. I get so lost in it, the overwhelming, all-encompassing, never-ending-ness of your death. It's a lonely and shitty place to be, you know? I would have called you to talk to you about it, to see what you would say, but you're gone and I can't. And so I sit and try to summon the courage to imagine what you would say. 
It just-- it feels like I'm drowning, my body, my head under water with my clothes and hair swirling, dragging me down, and I keep reaching my hands up above the surface, waiting for you to grab on and pull me out. I'm free falling from a tall building, a tower, a ledge, and I'm not scared but I wish you would catch me. I wonder if this is what it felt like to be you. 

And, you know, I thought that the summer days and the warmth and the sunshine would make me feel better and make things seem easier, but the truth is, I miss you so much more in the light of day. I just keep expecting you to show up. I keep thinking I could call you, maybe, you would pick up, maybe I could take the boys to finally see your place and go to the park like we said a million years ago but then things always came up for one of us so I didn't ever make it. I keep hoping you'll text me and tell me you're in the area and you were thinking you might stop by if I'm home. 
And then the tears come again and I am picturing you in a million ages and I keep thinking about leaning over the casket, how I watched a tear fall onto your chest, how if this was a fairy tale, my tears would have brought you back to me. 
I wish I hadn't wasted so much of your life being mad at you. If I could go back in time, I would do it over and over again, just to be with you. 
I miss you. 

2 comments:

  1. Jaimee, I read your posts and ache for you. I knew your mom many moons ago and still think of her as a friend although I don't see her any more. I knew Mia, Justin, and you when you were all little...in happier times and happier places. I pray for you. I pray for all of you. I pray mostly that you find peace. Please know that there are lots of people thinking of you, praying for you, and wanting to help. Grief is an awful journey, and I pray you find your way to the other side of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaim, I have known you since you were born, and you and your siblings always kind of felt like an extension of my siblings, right down the line: Katie, Ben, Hannah, Justin, Jaimee, Mia. Justin was like a mini Ben in so many ways, and I think our moms did a lot of commiserating when we were all young. Your mother is like a superhero in my eyes, and you are following right in her footsteps. The grace, strength, and humor with which you face life is remarkable and inspiring. It's been so long since I left PA -- Justin was only like 7 -- but I've held you and your family in my heart this whole time, and I love you all like my own family. I don't have much advice, and I don't know what to offer, except my love. I love you, and you are important to me.

    ReplyDelete